Nova Plexus is a self-supporting puzzle structure made from twelve identical, precisely machined metal rods.
This sculpture has been over 40 years in the making! Steve and Ali first learned of it in 1994 reading Jerry Slocum's book "The Book of Ingenious and Diabolical Puzzles". The original designer, Geoff Wyvill, had originally intended to make a limited edition of 500 from 1/4" stainless steel. In 1978 he made 26 copies and then moved to New Zealand. None were made thereafter.
40 years later, Two Brass Monkeys have worked with Geoff to complete the run. Each purchase includes:
- A stainless steel copy of the Nova Plexus puzzle sculpture.
- A laser engraved, uniquely numbered, anodized aluminum certificate of authenticity.
- A high-quality postcard with a letter/story from Geoff explaining the history of Nova Plexus.
- A pouch to hold the Nova Plexus pieces while it is unassembled.
- Rubber bands to help with the assembly of the puzzle.
Please note that this puzzle sculpture does not come with a solution. The story card includes a link to a video showing the Nova Plexus being assembled by Geoff.
We also carry this puzzle a bit more affordably in brass, without the limited edition accouterments.
Handling Metal Puzzles
While all metals tarnish over time, residual oil and salt from handling speeds up the process and leaves fingerprints. An individually packaged metal cleansing cloth is included with each metal puzzle sold on Cubicdissection. Metal Puzzle Polishing Kits which contain a larger cleansing cloth and microfiber polishing towel are also available.